Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, May 5, 2012

May 5. Fried Eggs and Veggies. Garden Walk Snacks. Big Moon at Sunset. Cinco de Mayo lefftovers ef

A proper breakfast to gird me for house-viewing and docenting at Venice Garden Walk.
There was a bit of left-over tomato sauce from the chile rellenos, as well as one slice of eggplant that had escaped the roasting of the other night.  I cubed that eggplant slice and sauteed it with  maybe two tablespoons of the bacon bits I now have in the freezer with a bit of olive oil, then added a chopped garlic clove, and after another few seconds tossed in the tomato sauce, as well as smoked paprika and coriander.  While these were cooking, I popped another round of cherry tomatoes with sliced garlic into the oven to roast--the house was filled with excellent smells from both pan and oven--a perfect way to start the day.
When this brew was warmed, I pushed it to the side of the pan, added a pat of butter and fried two eggs.  Looking at the picture, I can see black beans and/or avocado would have been a splendid accompaniment, but time was at a premium and my brain wasn't that active, so this, with toast and coffee, was breakfast.
I got to Las Dorados Children Center for sign in at the appointed time, and stashed two tiny muffins and a few grapes for later munching.  My docent stint began at 1:20--giving me several hours to bike about seeing as many houses and gardens as possible. More on that (perhaps) another time.  Stopped at Lincoln and Rose--thinking I'd get some organic greens at the 99¢ store.  It's Cinco de Mayo and to celebrate, a band is playing on the roof of La Cabana.  Many happy people in the street.
 They didn't have the huge boxes of greens, but there were greens to be had as well as red and yellow peppers and asparagus.  A sign outside of Whole Foods announcing a sale at the Seafood Bar drew me in, although I actually didn't know what the Seafood Bar might be.  Turns out, it was all sorts of seafood salads and ceviches.  I bought some shrimp and scallop ceviche and then, at the cheese counter, after some good tasting, bough a chunk of very delicious and reasonably priced Danish blue.
After an excellent sunset bike ride to the Venice pier to watch the giant moon rise over the city as the sun sunk beyond the Santa Monica mountains, I returned home (didn't get to see the big moon until a bit later) and made myself an excellent Cinco de Mayo platter--a cheese quesadilla accompanied by left-over eggplant with pomegranate molasses and roasted tomatoes  and as an extra treat, salvaged the last avocado from the fridge and stuffed it with that quite delicious celebratory ceviche of scallops and shrimps.

No comments:

Post a Comment