Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21. Zekes Smokehouse in Montrose. Descanso Gardens. Norton Simon. Leftovers. Asparagus. Peach Cobbler

I picked up Dan at Sam and Andrea's at about 11  for a day of exploring the eastward edges of Los Angeles.  It's rare these days that I brave the traffic and the heat, but visiting Huntington Gardens with Suzanne a few weeks ago, I was reminded of the pleasures in those relatively far-flung neighborhoods and had vowed to return.  Dan's visit was a perfect opportunity.
Our first stop was  Zeke's Smokehouse in Montrose,a little community (not a separate city) nestled against the San Gabriels.   I'd read about it over the years, but never managed to make the trek.  Leonard Schwartz, one of the two chefs who had opened Zeke's years ago, had created the meatloaf at the long defunct 72 Market Street--a recipe I'd made for years.  How could I resist a long overdue pilgrimage? (It goes almost without saying, that I'm happiest beginning these outings with a food adventure.)
Before settling in for our meal, we surveyed the many restaurants that lined Honolulu Avenue, Montrose's main strip, before settling into a booth at Zeke's.   Although Dan was cutting back on meat, he was quite happy with his three sides--greens, baked beans and coleslaw, though not as thrilled with an ear of corn slathered with spices in a creamy cheese sauce.  I went for the Bar-B-Que sampler special, two meats--I chose pulled pork and brisket both excellent,  with two sides--mac and cheese and green beans--not as good as Dan's selections.  I was not looking for some "authentic" bar-b-que joint in Montrose (there is in fact a fine display  of photos of such places across the land to remind us perhaps that we are somewhere else altogether), but I liked the sampling--South Carolina pulled pork with yellow mustard sauce, Texas brisket with hot sauce--can't say I'm an expert in the field, but I was happy enough.
After-meal  (Dan Raskin, 2012)

On to Descanso Gardens.  I thought I'd been here years ago, but now realize I'd confused it with the LA Arboretum in Arcadia.   Much wilder, denser, and less manicured than Huntington Gardens (which has always been my wonder-garden of choice), or the Arboretum, it was a complete pleasure--and if guests are willing, I'm ready to make it a regular stop on my LA tours.
After making a grand tour of Descanso, through oak forests, blooming camelias, fields of California native flowers and relatively wild Japanese garden, we ended our expedition with the Norton Simon Museum--always a treat--before heading back to Venice.
Sam and Andrea called to say they were on their way just as I pulled into the garage, so I instantly set to work on a salad to accompany the many leftovers--chicken with roast vegetables, zucchini and onion frittata, roasted tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, brussels sprouts with dates and bacon and I'm embarrassed to say, probably more. Andrea and Sam arrived while preparations were under way-I am always happy to recruit sous-chefs and Andrea was soon chopping away on ingredients to add to the baby greens from Maggie's farm--kale, avocado, golden beets, cilantro, green onions and blood oranges--which we topped with a lemony vinaigrette.

Peach Cobbler with Aunt Frieda's Glinting Golden Pie Server
For dessert, Sam had brought a peach cobbler that he'd made with peaches bought at the Brentwood Farmer's market from a Deborah Madison recipe.  I brought out the coffee ice cream and caramel sauce once again.   Plenty of eating, and once again a huge array of leftovers.


1 comment:

  1. I'm the Dan is this outing and had the pleasure of re-experiencing our enjoyable meal and lovely day at the garden and museum through Naomi's lively, upbeat recounting of our time together.
    I would like to suggest that the cobbler photo would be better if taken from more distance to put more border around the baking dish. I think with more context the right side of the cobbler would look less anatomical. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete