Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19th. Meatballs. Farmer's Market. Star Market. Trader Joe's. Bowls. 800 Degrees

Biked to 9am yoga, prelude to a day of many errands and chores. First stop--a little wedding present work at Sur la Table, then onto the Santa Monica Farmer's Market--the little mostly organic one--haven't been there in years--but planning for two dinners--Sunday and Monday--both with vegetarians, was inspired to buy  potatoes, parsley, cilantro, lemons and two bunches of sweet peas (flowers, not veggies).  Then home for another round of meatballs.  How could one pound of chopped meat last this long?  And it's not over yet!

The never-ending meatball supply

Shopping confusion at Sur La Table--so off to Luna Garcia to re-calibrate gift selection--returns and another sample of expresso at Sur La Table and then..on to more food shopping!
En route to Trader Joe's, traffic slowed at the Star Market on Santa Monica Boulevard, and since there was a parking place right in front, it was almost imperative that I check it out. Drearier than most other Middle Eastern markets I've gone to, they did have a splendid assortment of pomegranate molasses (I didn't need any), but even though I'd just bought parsley and cilantro, I couldn't resist buying more at the ridiculous price of 39¢ each as well as yellow onions at three pounds for a dollar and quite decent looking little eggplants.
Then--on to the Trader's where I met Astir and Girma wandering through the aisles.  As usual, I bought more than the organic chicken and yogurt on my list, including more brussels sprouts, a giant artichoke, two boxes of firm tofu, and as a special bonus, a quart of coffee ice cream and a jar of their relatively new (to me anyhow) fleur de sel caramel sauce.
These purchases were setting me up for future cooking.  Saturday night I met Dan, Sam and Andrea to dine at 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizza in Westwood.  It's a pretty wild spot--a long line snakes down the block--but all advance word is that it should not scare anyone off--it moves quickly.  and, in fact, the line is central to the restaurant.  It continues inside as you mosey along a cafeteria style line facing a line of pizza makers.  The idea is that as you move through the various stations of pizza wielders, they add ingredients as requested.  As you pay the cashier, your personalized pizza (you can also order one of their creations) is popped into the 800 degree oven -- and in minutes you get to bring it to your table.  It might not have been the best pizza in the world, but the format is so goofy and fast food friendly, it's worth the price of the pie.  






No comments:

Post a Comment