Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19th. Eggplant with pomegranate molasses, sauteed chicken breasts

It's been a while since I've made a proper meal.  Yesterday, discovering a package of organic chicken breasts in the freezer (Trader Joe's, but both more distant and immediate provenance unknown) decided it was time to defrost them.  They were ready to go this morning, but I wasn't quite ready to address them.

I was up early enough to eat a proper breakfast before noon yoga, so while making coffee, I sauteed onion, zucchini, mushrooms with the aging cherry tomatoes to accompany scrambled eggs.

In the midst of this activity, decided it was time to address the aging eggplant in fridge.  Weeks ago, inspired by a Paula  Wolfert recipe, I'd sauteed tofu with with pomegranate molasses,garlic and mint.   This morning, using a somewhat limited stock, I approximated the original recipe.


ROASTED EGGPLANT WITH POMEGRANATE SAUCE
One Eggplant (I used a regular globe eggplant, Wolfert recommends the longer Japanese ones, always an excellent choice)
Olive Oil

The Sauce
Two tablespoons pomegranate molasses
One tablespoon lemon juice
One crushed garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2-3 tablespoons fresh mint
1 tablespoon Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds (I didn't have these--but would highly recommend them just for the beauty)

Pre-heat oven to 425° Slice the eggplant into 1/2 thick inch slices.  If you believe in salting them (this is to remove bitterness, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't), put slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let them set for 30 minutes.  Rinse off salt, dry slices and place them in a single layer on a lightly oiled jelly roll sheet.  Brush with with a bit more olive oil, and bake on each side until golden brown (about 12 minutes per side--but could be more, depending on oven).

While they're baking, mix pomegranate molasses, lemon juice,  garlic, sugar and salt.  Remove nicely browned eggplant from oven. Place on serving plate (again single layer would be best).  Cover with sauce and top with shredded mint, chopped parsley, and if you have them, pomegranate seeds.  Cover with plastic and let rest until ready to serve (can be for hours).  If you refrigerate, bring to room temperature before serving.

That was my morning cooking.  One excellent side-dish.  No dinner plans.  There had been some vague exchanges with Patty about a late afternoon walk, which might seque into dinner.  When walking time rolled around, there wasn't much enthusiasm.  It looked like there's be no dinner.  That seemed crazy, so I offered to pick up Patty and make dinner here (she doesn't drive at night).  Once at her house, just around the corner from the 99¢ store, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a quick stop.  It was a triumphant visit--they had the enormous boxes of Earthbound organic salad greens and spinach (sold at whole food for many times the price).  I'd just heard a report on NPR about the precautions taken at Earthbound Farms(not always perfect, but they try).  In addition to big boxes of spring mix baby lettuce and baby spinach, I bought brussels sprouts for dinner at Katya's tomorrow, potatoes to add to my dwindling supply and red and yellow peppers.  Then home to cook.  It was all pretty zippy.    The eggplant was ready.  The chicken was defrosted.  I put the potatoes to boil.  Made salad--just those earthbound greens with sliced fennel.  The dressing was already made.  The spinach, though just bought, looked like it might not have that long to live (produce is sold at the 99¢ store before expiration date, but sometimes it's pretty close), so I sauteed some garlic in olive oil, rinsed the spinach, added it to the pan, and let it quickly melt down to almost nothing.

SAUTEED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH LEMON, CAPERS AND PARSLEY
Chicken Breasts
olive oil
butter
Panko Crumbs
Bread Crumbs
Lemon Juice
Capers
Parsley
Salt and Pepper

No quantities here--infinitely expandable as long as you have enough pans and patience.
I'm generally not a fan of chicken breasts.  They're usually too thick and dry, but I turned these into thin scallops, coated them in a mixture of panko and bread crumbs and sauteed them in olive oil with a bit of butter.  Once they were golden brown--not very long, I added lemon juice, capers, salt and pepper and parsley.  Done!!


I drained the potatoes, tossed them a bit in the hot pot to dry them.  Added milk that I'd heated in the microwave with a bit of butter--oh and a crushed garlic clove too--mashed it up into a fine frothy whip.  And there was the meal.  Pretty fast.  And completely delicious.
And that wasn't quite it.  Patty, who never travels without one kind of delicious chocolate or another, supplied a few squares of dark chocolate for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment