Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 17th. Another meatball meal. Roasted cauliflower. Roasted beets.


My wandering mind moments in yoga are full of roasted vegetables and salads, but what can I say?  I bike home, arrive in a low-grade state of starvation and am completely unable to resist those waiting  meatballs in my refrigerator.  The meatballs might not officially be left-overs, but the bread we bought at Rockenwagner's on Monday certainly is.  It initially worked for sandwiches, but today, it was so stale I toasted up little rounds, spooning the meatballs with expanded sauce over them and was quite happy with my three o'clock lunch.  

The magic meatball bowl--how many meals can it provide?
Again thought my very late and relatively heavy lunch might have meant no dinner (don't I ever learn?).  Took a quite lovely walk along the beach with Patty--neither of us felt like heading out into the gray sodden late afternoon--but once we headed to the sand, the clouds lifted, the sun shone, and we had nothing but self-congratulations both for the weather and our enjoyment.
Sam called just as I got home--despite the time difference we were both straightening up and preparing tiny dinners.  I was planning to have a proper green salad, but ended up foregoing the greens and going just with roasted cauliflower as well as beets that I'd roasted several days ago.  Jackie and I had salvaged them when we were composting old vegetables at the Westminster Garden. I'd washed them, wrapped them in foil and roasted them in the oven for almost an hour.  In fact, only three or four small beets were actually edible.  A few were too old and woody and went right back to compost--but the good ones had been marinating in my vinaigrette for a few days and were absolutely fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment