Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 24. BLT with avocado. eggplant with pomegranate molasses. Fried egg with re-fried roasted potatoes and carrots

Another late lunch.  Post yoga, post bike ride, I'd been thinking of a bacon, kale and egg combo, but instead went for a BLT with avocado (once there's an open package of  bacon in the refrigerator--even --or especially if it's Trader Joe's ends and pieces it's hard to just ignore--most of my food musings these days contain a few bacon bits).  Also made serious inroads into the eggplant with pomegranate molasses-- magnificently robust after many days of marination.

All that late afternoon eating was exhausting.  Or maybe it was the yoga and the biking.  I didn't think I had another ounce of energy when  Patty called, eager for a late afternoon walk.  It has been so southern California spectacular these days, I couldn't refuse.  I met her at the Rose parking lot--we walked beyond the Venice Pier and back to my house where, as a reward for urging me out of the house, I was able to offer her brown sugar cookies.
Just as Patty left, Julie called from New York.  We had a long proper catch-up.  When we finished, I made myself a very late but quite satisfying dinner of roasted asparagus(not left-over--the last bunch from the farmer's market)  with a sprinkling of cheese and a fried egg.   Also sauteed an onion to which I added some left-over roast potatoes--sounds like a good brunch--but it was fine meal at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment