Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 3rd. Two soups. Black Bean and Asparagus and Tofu

Excellent lunch of left-overs post yoga and bike-ride.  In an excess of enthusiasm for refrigerator cleaning, I sometimes err by by throwing too many things together.  I avoided that mistake today by making myself two separate soups.  The first was black bean soup.  I  added chicken soup to a few ladles of black beans (these left-overs weren't very soupy) for an excellent soup, garnished with chopped red onion, cilantro and a bit of sour cream.
To follow that, I re-heated the left-over sauteed tofu with asparagus and rice in a bit more chicken broth.  An excellent combo.  And, in fact, it was a good enough (and late enough) lunch to fuel me for a long, unexpected walk.  The gray skies had cleared by afternoon, and I was fairly cheerfully ensconced at home for the evening when Patty called at six and suggested we take a sunset walk.  We met at the beach parking lot and headed south to the Venice Pier.  The sun splendidly set for us as we returned to her car.  On way hand this was magnificent, on the other, it raised problems as Patty really doesn't drive at night. She doesn't live far, so I drove home with her then walked myself home, capping my beach walk with a stroll through the darkening Ocean Park Streets.  It was 8:30 by the the time I returned, and dinner turned out to be nothing more than a grapefruit and a few nibbles of cheese.  Lots of exercise and not that much food-an unusual combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment