Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 29. Latte at La Note, Lunch at In 'n' Out. Chick Pea Salad

Back to Los Angeles.  After a breakfast pancake made by Rinat as part of her pre-work, pre-school, four burner morning spectacular, I was picked up by Gene and Linda for the trip home.  After a quick stop at La Note, for coffees and croissants for the road, we picked up Joanie, who was also heading home and were on our way.

Retracing our steps, our first stop was at The Harris Ranch to continue our meat buying activities.  I bought a pound of hamburger meat, and a small steak whose name I instantly forgot as well as an excellent looking bunch of asparagus tips before we piled back into the car for our return visit to In 'n' Out.  Since our first visit, I'd done a bit of research on the secret menu.  As noted a few days ago, I'd long been familiar with "animal style" cheeseburgers--my regular order--but had not known (oh there was so much I hadn't known about the secret menu) 
that you can order well-done fries.  This time I got my cheeseburger animal style with those well-done fries--and all my previous complaints about the fries melted away.  As good as they were, I kindly shared them with Linda, Joanie, and Gene--they'd  had all ordered the bun-less variation (protein style), but were happy to nibble on a few carbs.

Picking up my car at Gene and Linda's, Joanie and I stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home for a few basics.
Sated from all that weekend eating (and knowing there was more to come), I  reprised a variation of Raphie's salad-romaine with chick peas, tomatoes and  green onions before treating myself to a sunset walk on the beach followed by a (also treated myself to a dish of chocolate and coffee ice cream--in memory of my mother--who I swear ate close to a pint of each (Schrafft's) every night.




No comments:

Post a Comment