Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, May 14, 2012

May 14. Morning meatballs. Still more restaurants.

After that first chicken meal, only minimal cooking the past few days.  In anticipation of guests, I'd defrosted a pound of ground beef thinking I could make some emergency hamburgers if necessary.  But, this morning, the thought of  four sorry little patties, was too depressing and since I'm always a happy first-thing-in-the morning-cooker (especially with a house full of people),  I began cooking my favorite meatballs.

Meatballs


That was pretty much the cooking (though not the eating)  for the day.  Jackie left for a walk with Diana while I biked to yoga, meeting them post-Gjelina lunch on Abbott Kinney.  Diana headed back to the valley, and although i'd been planning to go home for a meatball lunch, we ended up stopping at 3 Square Cafe, where Jackie watched as I ate three miniature sandwiches with three tiny salads before stopping at the bakery for a loaf of bread for the waiting meatballs which Ivan and Benno sampled before heading out with Jackie and Meghan  for a beach walk.  Andre was off on a day of visits with old friends and family, but the rest of us headed to Sunnin, a Lebanese restaurant on Westwood Boulevard -- a favorite of Ivan's and Meghan's, previously and sadly unknown to me..  It was a great treat--excellent fried cauliflower, exceptionally delicious falafel, assorted eggplant salads and many other appealing dishes we didn't get to.  Meghan was heading out early in the next morning, so Ivan brought her home and Benno, Jackie and I met him at Century City (after a mis-guided stop at the Westside Pavilion) for an 8:50 show of The Avengers.  This was not a movie that pandered to my demographic, but I was happy to  catch up with the culture in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment