Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Sunday, May 13, 2012

May 13. Mother's Day Brunch. Salmon Salad. Roast Potatoes. Marley. Nanbankan

With a refrigerator stuffed with left-overs from Ivan's party--poached salmon in a mustardy, lemon sauce, caprese salad, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella and a box of desserts--we had the beginnings of a Mother's Day brunch.  The tomatoes from the caprese were too dreary, we sauteed them with some onions and garlic before heading to the Ocean Park Farmer's Market for a little shopping. In the many months of my absence this Sunday market has become much less of a cook's market and even more a place to meet friends for brunch,  bring the kids for pony rides,  etc.  We made enough purchases--green onions, kumquats, strawberries, lettuce, dill, parsley, potatoes, etc. to ward off starvation, but we had to make a stop at One Life to get the onions we might need.  Andrew had found the missing Mother's Day flowers from Sam and Sarah on the back stairs of the back house when he was throwing out garbage and Benno and Ivan each brought a splendid bouquet as well, so the house was filled with flowers as Jackie and I turned the left over salmon into a salad with finely chopped celery, green onions, capers, dill, lime and the mustard sauce with a bit more mayonnaise.

We also, roasted potatoes, and
roasted asparagus with parmesan and lemon



Graduation cake with strawberries and kumquats for dessert.

We'd gotten such a late start it was well after 3 when we finished.  Jackie's tradition is to have her family accompany her on a cultural outing of her choice on Mother's Day--the destinationtoday was Marley: The Movie, playing at the Santa Monica Laemmle.  We zoomed, getting there just after the trailers had begun.   The two moms thought it was really good, the rest of the party might not have been as enthusiastic but liked it well enough.
After a sight-seeing stroll through downtown Santa Monica to Ivan's apartment, we dropped Andre off for a visit with cousin Johnny and Jackie, Ivan, Benno and I headed off for a late dinner at  Nanbankan, a Japanese restaurant that Lisa recommended when I mentioned we were thinking of going to Sakura House, my regular go-to for yakitori.  A fine time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment