Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 30th. Steak Salad with chickpeas and tomatoes

Sarah sent revised plans, so the morning was filled with New Jersey kitchen thoughts.  Returning from yoga, with steak salad plans, I cooked the mysterious Harris Ranch steak in my cast iron pan. It was incredibly delicious and tender.  And anonymous.  I couldn't remember what it was called--only knowing it was an unfamiliar name.  Surely I could figure this out.  I called Harris Ranch for some steak identification work. At least I had a precise sense of butcher shop geography.  The steak I chose had been resting in the case between the ground sirloin and the rib-eyes. "Did it look like a big piece of sushi?" asked the customer service representative.  I hadn't made that association,  but  agreed that it did.  "That's a bistro filet," she informed me. Yes, that row of bistro filets did resemble massive slabs of  toro longing for giant beds of rice.
But, she explained, they are not tuna at all (I hadn't been fooled for a second).  They are cut from the teres major muscle, and as I learned from my own research  explained that bistro filets come from the teres major muscle, just off the cow's shoulder, and are also called petite teres steaks, described as a cheaper (and perhaps tastier) alternative to filet mignon.  This was all news to me.

In a day of many interruptions, lunch fell by the wayside.  But by dinner time, I made and ate a salad of steak, chickpeas, tomatoes and avocados while listening to Fresh Air Memorial for Doc Watson.



No comments:

Post a Comment