Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8th. Left-over chicken festival continues with salad and soup. Chicken Salad. Chicken Soup

Plans for cold cucumber soup have not yet come through.  Froze most of the soup into cubes, but, again doing a little refrigerator salvage work (combined with some forays into the silly in summer territory of  canned goods)  made a pretty interesting chicken corn chowder.

Here's a recipe--though it's really little more than a guide for improvisation:

CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER

One or two strips of Bacon.
Two or three small potatoes
1 small onion
two small zucchinis
1/2 cup canned creamed corn (this was in cabinet--secret excellent ingredient for cornbread--but the only corn in house--so in it went).
Green beans
Chicken broth.

I sauteed the remaining bits of bacon from my package of ends and bits from Trader Joe's.  These fragments are heavy on the fat, so actually quite good if you're looking for a little bacon fat to saute your veggies.

After removing the bacon from the pan--and pouring off some of the fat (you're on your own in determining how much you need, if you want -- you can just leave a bit for the taste and add olive oil--but  really--how much harm can it do?) brown the potatoes which you've cubed into fairly small pieces (you're thinking soup here), when the potatoes are soft and browning, add  onion, green beans  and zucchini pieces cut to same size, and fresh corn kernels if you're clever enough to have them.  When vegetables are just about cooked, add chicken broth and creamed corn--if you have it.  Heat through.   Obviously all sorts of substitutions and improvisations possible here.


After cooking up the last bits of bacon, I removed it from the pan along with most of the fat.  Then sauteed a two small potatoes in the bacon fat, Sauteed the last bits of bacon, Soup for dinner.can't variations on chowder--potato, zucchini, corn, chicken soup.  green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment