Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August 28th. Hamburger. Salad. Deviled Eggs.

I'd promised Kate a few dozen deviled eggs for her birthday party on Saturday night.  I'm always delighted when deviled eggs show up on the table, but they're not something I've made in years.    
An internet search revealed a world of deviled egg madness and options, but I've always gone with a very simple combination of mayonnaise and mustard, salt and pepper.  Of course, I had no real idea of proportions, but that is normal, and it usually all works out.  Still, this was for a significant birthday, and I did want to make party-perfect eggs, so was quite happy to discover a familiar enough recipe in the fat Gourmet Cook Book I'd picked up at the Venice Library, that echoed my own long ago deviling procedures.   I'd boiled three eggs and chilled them before leaving for yoga.  On my return, mashed up the yogas, and made my eggs with random amounts of the above ingredients.  Quite tasty, but not very beautiful.  Might have to think about piping.

After many months, Huli was fixed my necklace and bracelet.  After my deviled eggs lunch drove to pick them up and then, because I was in the neighborhood did a Tuesday double-header which I hadn't enjoyed in years- Culver City Farmer's market and Trader Joe's where, in anticipation of Sam's visit, made many excessive purchases.

I do seem to be on a bit of burger binge--made myself a hamburger for dinner--I'd divided my pound of chopped meat into four burgers--cooked two, saved one and froze two uncooked chunks of meat for that hovering future.  The meat was from TJ's--but also had salad with farmer's market lettuce.


No comments:

Post a Comment