Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Friday, August 31, 2012

August 30th. Scrambled eggs with zucchini and zucchini blossoms.

Zucchini and blossoms, whole and chopped

Sam arriving tonight.  Amanda came on Thursday instead of Friday, and I took the opportunity to make us a grand breakfast of scrambled eggs with both zucchini and zucchini blossoms.

After yoga, bumped into Alex in the Fred Segals parking lot (How bizarre is it that I go to Fred Segals almost every day for yoga?  Won't even go into it).  We hadn't seen each other in years and decided to have lunch there.  I often stop at the cafe for a glass of water infused with celery and citrus, but I've never been tempted to eat there.  The prices, if a bit high, are pretty standard, and much more reasonable than the clothes--but although it's s always looked fresh and healthy--that might not be quite enough.  But I was starving, happy to see Alex, and there it was, so in we went.   For some reason, perhaps because I was so surprised to be there, I had a tuna sandwich on toast with a garden salad.   It was o.k.    Alex had a kale salad which looked more interesting.  She said it was quite good.  I'd meant to taste it, but forgot.  I had been much happier with the Umami burger across the street.

Continuing in my quest for extraordinary deviled eggs, I stopped at Sur La Table, in search of a pastry bag and the proper attachments in an unprecedented effort to fill my egg whites with a beautifully piped and squiggly yolk mixture.  I left with a bag, a silver funnel, and a package of four plastic connectors--together, I was assured they would do the trick.

But first, I stopped at Katya's studio for a promised cup of coffee and a catch-up after her trip east.   We had a fine visit--both over coffee and then dangling our feet in the Charmont pool where I used to bring Sarah to swim thirty years ago!!

Sam's plane was supposed to arrive at 11, but was delayed two hours--not scheduled to arrive until after 1AM.  I'd taken out dvds from the library--Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be, which I'd ordered last week, and the first season of Breaking Bad.  I figured these would keep me up into the wee hours.

It was unlikely he'd want a proper meal at that late hour, but why not try out my new equipment and make a few more deviled eggs.  Oh dear.  My splendid new equipment wasn't quite right.  The connectors were too small, the star attachment too big.  While my efforts at piping and pastry bagging should not perhaps be classified as a great disaster (the eggs looked pretty much as they might have if I'd just spooned in the deviled mixture), they did not make what we might consider an elegant appearance.  They were good enough for Sam who was happy to eat a few on his arrival, but would have to be improved for party presentation.  I didn't get to sleep until close to 3.  The work will continue in the morrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment