Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 14. Eggs with Burrata and Caponata. Grilled cheese sandwich.

Burrata might have a very short shelf (or refrigerator life).  It wasn't exactly sour when I checked this morning, but it no longer had its original miraculous freshness.  It was early enough for me to have a proper pre-yoga breakfast, so I used the remaining burrata (it might not have been more than two big tablespoons) and the caponata to make some very luxurious scrambled eggs.  Rich, but not too rich.  I cooked some of the caponata with the eggs and had some cold on the side--preferred it in its side-dish relish form--and I don't think cooking with eggs is the wisest destiny for burrata, but in this case it was a good save.

Almost the entire morning was spent in phone calls and e-mails to Ikea.  This is all about the New Jersey kitchen, items on back orders, delivery fees, etc.  It is now looking as if I might have pulled some order out of chaos, but nothing is over until it's really over, so we shall see.

A panini of sorts for lunch.  Can you have a panini on rye?  Maybe it is then called a melt.  In any case, I had an either excellent panini or melt on rye--smoked mozzarella, roasted peppers, tomato, sopressata salami and avocado with mustard and mayo.  If I had a restaurant I might serve something like this.  It would make many people happy.

Veggies awaiting some carbs


Dinner--noble emptying refrigerator work.  Cut up the three kinds of green beans that I'd boiled the other day (for a salad nicoise that never materialized).  Sauteed three carrots cut into bean sized pieces, along with sliced garlic and radishes, before adding the beans.  Tossed in a few cubes of my frozen chicken broth and some cumin.  Would have worked with rice, but pasta felt easier, so I boiled up some penne and had a tasty respectable (at least to me) meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment