Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24th. Guacamole. Hunan Eggplant. Caramelized tofu with brocooli

After lingering at yoga, I was too hungry to bike all the way  home without eating (this happens sometimes).  I had been looking forward to another round of cucumber soup, but instead I stopped at Sushi Sapporo, the Japanese restaurant on Lincoln adjacent to Albertson's.  I'd been pleased enough when I'd stumbled in there a while ago.  It is not amazingly delicious, but they do have a good lunch special.  You have your choice of two or three items along with miso soup, salad and a nicely cut orange.  I ordered sushi and sashimi and was about to choose a third dish, but the waiter implied that two selections should be more than enough.  Later, after I'd just about cleaned my tray, he asked how everything was.  I told him it had all been quite fine, but I feared he underestimated me for I surely could have eaten more.  He was most apologetic and quickly returned with a California roll,  so in fact I did not leave hungry.

Thinking about my empty refrigerator, I continued on Lincoln to Ralph's and with a vegetable loaded bike returned home.   It was close to 5--there was a note from Drea wondering if she could come for dinner after work.  That wouldn't be until after eight--so why not?   I was sure we could come up with a decent meal and would basically cook it together.

Weeks ago, Robin had mentioned a delicious Hunan Eggplant in her repertoire.   Her recipe was the first listed in a Google search.  .  I'd just bought a quite lovely eggplant--Our vegetarian dinner would be the eggplant with my excellent stand-by  caramelized tofu.

The avocados I'd bought last week were beginning to ripen.  I couldn't resist making a one avocado guacamole--just the avocado, a few chopped cherry tomatoes, a crushed garlic, lime juice and chopped cilantro.  I even had a tiny bag of fritos which I'd been looking for an excuse to open.  And, I also put up brown rice--I always forget about it as it takes so long--but knowing that there were hours before we'd eat--no reason not to get that rice cooked and waiting. I also opened the package of tofu I'd had forever (expiration date still a week or two away), and placed it between two cutting boards with a heavy can of tomatoes on top to press out some of the liquid.

OK--On to Hunan Eggplant.  You can check out the inspirational recipe here.  I stuck pretty close to the original--but here's my version:

Cut eggplant into cubish--about 1/2" to 1".  In a wok or large frying pan (I used my wok here), heat a few tablespoons of canola oil (peanut oil is usually preferred for stir fries--but I didn't have any).  When pieces are nicely browned on most sides, remove with a slotted spoon.

Add another tablespoon or so of oil to wok. When hot, add 3-5 minced garlic cloves, one or more tablespoons chili paste with garlic, and a teaspoon or more of minced fresh ginger.  Cook 10-20 seconds (you don't want the garlic to brown).   Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/2 cup of liquid (chicken stock would be best, or vegetable stock, but I just used water which was fine) and two teaspoons sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Return the eggplant to the wok along with one tablespoon rice vinegar.  Cook a few minutes, until eggplant has absorbed most of the sauce.  Stir in two tablespoons chopped cilantro (original had green onions, not cilantro)  and one tablespoon sesame oil.  Serve with Rice.

Hunan Eggplant

With two cooks working, it was easy to make the caramelized tofu while the eggplant absorbed its excellent juices. 



At the last minute, I tossed in yesterday's left-over steamed broccoli--and we what I at least would consider an almost proper Chinese dinner.

As we were cleaning our plates, Andrea was about to take the antibiotic which her brother had prescribed for a nagging cough. It was nowhere to be found.  She was convinced, she'd left it on her new desk in Woodland Hills and was lamenting the drive she'd have to make on Saturday, as well as the rupture in her most unusual antibiotic course.  True, or not, my feeling these days is that I rarely go out at night.  It was almost 10:30 on a Friday night.  A perfect time to step out.  Seizing the opportunity, I offered to drive to Woodland Hills at that very moment (though we first had to have some strawberries with yogurt to properly end our meal), and indeed that was just what we did---heading through the pass to the Judge's office in Woodland Hills in search of a pink medicine bottle.   

No comments:

Post a Comment