Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, August 25, 2012

August 25th. Left-overs. Apple Pan. Photography and films.

With plans to meet Randi at 1:30 for many activities, ate many left-overs--eggplant with rice, roasted tomatoes, etc. to get me through the afternoon.

First stop---Who Shot Rock and Roll?   at the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City.  Neither of us had ever been there. I'd mistakenly assumed it was nestled somewhere in the shopping center/movie complex, where we parked, before discovering it was on the other side of The Avenue of the Stars.  We eventually found our way there through the vast and empty concrete landscape.   It was packed--a line outside and very crowded inside.  The video, shown regularly in a central room was quite good, though it didn't leave us much time for checking out the rest of the show.  I was delighted in the ladies room to see that the show continued with an ever-changing photo display in the middle of the mirror.

It's imperative to be at the Writer's Guild Theater in time for the screenings.  The guy at the door leaves his post, locking the  doors at the very moment the film is scheduled to start--no late entries, so although we were fairly close, we wanted to allow enough time to get there.  We made our way back to the shopping center parking lot quickly, but that was the end of our speedy exit.  We'd  carefully noted that my car was parked in the aisle marked B39.  On our descent into the lot (confident that we could find the car due to our proficiency in numbers and letters), we realized that in addition to these two categories, there was a third which we'd completely over-looked--there were pillars of many colors.  Due to our negligence in the hue department we spent close to one-half hour searching for the car--which we finally found by returning to the surface, trying to remember which stairway we'd emerged from and descending once again.  The car found, we sped to the film, but we were moments late and the doorway dark.

Of course, this was not the only film in town, and neither one of us had been desperate to see it, so disappointment in check, I drove to the Westside Pavilion--on the odd chance that there would be a film that we'd want to see showing at the moment of our arrival.

No film fit that bill.  Instead, we went to Macy's where Randi bought a little Cuisinart food chopper on sale.  Thinking of all that food processing, we realized it was time for a meal--and by good fortune, the Apple Pan is still right across the street.  After a short wait, we had hickory burgers and french fries.  Well fortified, and with time to spare, we thought we'd go back to the Writer's Guild and see Hope Springs.  This time, after finding our car exactly where we'd left it in minutes flat,  we arrived with time to spare, found street parking and saw the movie, which we both liked more than expected.  


No comments:

Post a Comment