Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, August 6, 2012

August 6th. Chicken Salad. Chicken Soup.

Saturday's chicken soup left me with lots of chicken.  I remove the meat from the bones early in the cooking so it remains edible --and today got yet another meal--chicken salad--out of it.

This was a quick and easy salad--chopped one rib of celery, one green onion, combined with a cup or so of chopped chicken, mayonnaise, raisins and curry powder.  Served it with sliced tomatoes with thai basil and sliced golden beets.

It wasn't until I began eating that I realized I was re-creating (in a fashion) one of my mother's regular lunch dishes--a hollowed out tomato filled with chicken salad.  She didn't curry the chicken, and my tomato was sliced, not hollowed, but the flavors, on a hot afternoon, surprisingly transported me to a long ago lunch time in Jersey City.
And for dessert, a left-over brownie (from Saturday) and iced coffee.
For dinner, defying the warm weather, as well as my intentions for cold cucumber soup, I had another bowl of hot soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment