Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 15th. Salami and smoked mozzarella sandwich

One meal day.  Not quite true--a soft boiled egg on toast for breakfast, hours before yoga, and then a late lunch.  One plus one would, I guess, equal two.

But, conversation with Gaia at yoga, trip to library and visit to Bay Cities where I bought another one of those small fresh-baked breads that served me so well last week, meant I didn't eat lunch until after four.  (Oh that mysterious slippery time).

I did do a little more burrata research at Bay Cities.  They do sell the same pound tubs from Gioa that I'd bought at Surfas.  Those cost $10.98.  For $5.98 you can get two four ounce balls of burrata.  They're delivered in bulk, each ball wrapped in paper, and the good cheese people at Bay Cities put together the 8 ounce tubs.  That's what I'd bought last week.  As I wrote yesterday, by day 5, the burrata felt like it was on the edge--and indeed the expiration date on the burrata that was in the case today (from the Tuesday delivery) was August 21--that's a full week after purchase--perhaps I was wrong--but still--this does seem like one product where the "use by" date is really relevant.

Not planning any celebrations in the coming days, I didn't buy yesterday's cheese--but perhaps I'll be inspired by Friday.

I did have many excellent ingredients for my late afternoon sandwich--thin sliced soppresata salami (bought, I will admit at the 99¢ store last week), smoked mozarella, roasted peppers,  sliced avocado and tomato, and as a special bonus, a fairly large clump of cilantro and a spoonful or two of caponata.  Mustard and mayonnaise on the bread--very delicious indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment