Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 11. Eggplant Caponata Burrata . Smoked Mozzarella. Salami Penne with Green beans with salami

Work Day this morning at the Westminster Elementary Garden.  Volunteer at Westminster Garden--Joe Miller, of Joe's, who has been an active participant in the garden for years, delivering buckets of compostables, growing herbs for his restaurant and most delightfully, cooking with the kids in the garden once a month,   Today he supplied lunch from Bar Pinxto, his Spanish Tapas restaurant in Santa Monica: sandwiches on crispy baguettes and salad with candied walnuts and parmesan.  Th bread for the sandwiches is made from frozen dough that is sent from Spain and then cooked here!

For dessert, he served panne cotta (he came with little cups already filled and chilled)  with sliced figs and shortbread. Asking Joe if he needed help, I was assigned the fig quartering job---my idea of a grand time.

For dinner, I got to eat the by-now-completed and well chilled caponata (due to the ingredients on hand rule--no pine nuts, kalamata olives instead of green stuffed ones, and golden raisins thrown in for a little more sweet)  with the burrata, with another round of smoked mozzarella and even made a little penne with green beans, garlic and salami.     .

No comments:

Post a Comment