Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16. Fried eggs with beet greens. Umami Burgers. Twice baked potato

I was so happy with yesterday's lunch of fried eggs with beet greens, I  had it again for an early breakfast today--of course--the greens were cooked and ready to go--so how could they be ignored?

Met Patty after noon yoga for a late lunch at Umami Burger, in the very same Fred Segal complex of my yoga class.  Due to my wanderings, I had been completely unaware of the existence of this ever-growing enterprise that began in 2009. I learned about it from vegetarian Andrea, who is a close follower of LA restaurant data, even in the meat category, when I joined her and Sam and Dan at 800 Degrees for pizza.  She explained that this concept in relatively fast food pizza was a new addition to the Umami family, and suggested I might try those famous burgers which were available across the street from my almost daily yoga.  It took me almost two months--but I finally made it.  

We were both starving and ordered more than we might usually--an Umami burger and a truffle burger as well as onion rings and sweet potato fries.  I surely should have taken a picture, but I did not.  We did manage to clean all our plates and I was pleased to be  slowly catching up the ever advancing hamburger culture.  

After that very late and big lunch, I thought I might by-pass dinner, but that is almost never possible.  I baked one of the giant potatoes that Andrew had left as part of his pre-travel refrigerator emptying ritual and ate half of it stuffed with cheese, onions and tomatoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment