Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 20th. Ceviche Taco. Happy Hour at Sunny Spot, No cooking at all!!

Another day of eating out.  The summer weather has been so remarkable here at the beach, it's hard to hurry home to prepare a meal.
With plans to meet Linda for an early Happy Hour at Sunny Spot, another relatively new restaurant at the intersection of Abbot Kinney and Washington Boulevard, I wanted to eat a light and early lunch.  I'd learned about the happy hour from Robin, who'd raved about the bargain priced hamburger and papaya mango salad, so when she called (looking for the recipe for no-knead bread), I told her of our plans and she happily agreed to join us.  But first--I had to have lunch.
My goal was La Isla Bonita truck on Rose and Fourth for a ceviche tostada.  Accompanied by a bottled Coke with real sugar from Mexico, I thought it would meet my exact specifications for a delicious, light and suitably filling meal.  Biking there, I thought I'd give Patty a call to see if she wanted to join me for a curbside snack, as she is leaving momentarily for the shores of Lake Michigan.  She welcomed a break from her packing and list-making and we had a completely delicious lunch--I stuck with my planned meal while she had a shrimp tostado with good sized shrimps and even more avocado slices than the ceviche.  The lines were longer than I'd ever seen them (I often come later in the afternoon--it was just before 1pm--still in proper lunch hour territory), but all moved quickly and we were happy as can be.  A good going away snack for Patty and a fine little lunch for me.

Linda decided to pass on Happy Hour, so a few hours later, hungry again, I biked to Sunny Spot with Robin where she got to more or less repeat the meal she'd told me about--Robin had a palmetto--a yummy rum cocktail.  I asked the waiter about the four bottled beers --he said they were all Jamaican and all the same--the bottle he brought me--was from Costa Rica--but I suppose it was Jamaican in spirit.  We shared a hamburger and papaya mango salad.  After my very light lunch, I needed a bit more food--so we topped it off with an order of fried plantains that were spectacular.  Two excellent bargain meals in Venice with not one moment of food foraging or preparing!

No comments:

Post a Comment