Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 22nd. Scrambled Eggs. Cottage cheese with peach and raspberries. Seared tuna

While making coffee this morning I roasted the grape tomatoes I bought yesterday along with the half tomato left over from last night's sandwich--added some cloves of garlic, coriander and smoked paprika.  Discovered a bit later that I had unwittingly followed the directives in a Julia Moskin article in the NYTimes (published days ago, but just caught my eye today)advising that vegetables should be roasted or otherwise cooked  as soon as possible after purchase to avoid the inevitable summer spoilage.  Also very happy as house filled with excellent smells of garlic roasting in olive oil and  juices of tomato.

Early breakfast followed by early lunch--light and delicious--excellent peach with cottage cheese and rapidly aging (though just bought yesterday) raspberries.  Lunch was probably a bit too light--by 3pm hunger pangs were detected, and thoughts of the Taco truck on Rose began to fill my wandering brain.  I might have been able to ignore them, but I had to make a library run, so a quick detour to Rose and Fourth fit right in.  

The truck was still there, but missing many items at the end of a busy beach Sunday. Branching into new territory I ordered a camaron tostada and a taco al pastor to go (with a Mexican coke as well).  The bike ride home ruined the presentation of the once picture perfect tostada, but did not impair it in any other way.
Of course, that four o'clock meal wouldn't hold me through the night, so for dinner I had yet another round of the seared tuna (those four chunks of fish are supplying meals for days) with the last of the green beans, golden beets and one freshly boiled potato  (I suppose I'm holding those lovely tomatoes for another day).

No comments:

Post a Comment