Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17th. Crispy Kale. Summer Salads.

A day of nibblng on assorted salads.  I'd bought kale at the Mar Vista Market thinking I'd make some variant of the Gjelina breakfast sandwich of fried egg with kale, but instead, not feeling particularly egg-y, I decided to try replicating those crispy snacks that are suddenly inundating the markets.
CRISPY BAKED KALE CHIPS
Pre-heat oven to 350°
Wash and thoroughly dry one bunch of kale (any variety, I think)
Pull off of stem and cut or tear into bite size pieces.
Spread on baking sheet (single layer not necessary).
Sprinkle with olive oil, smoked paprika and salt.
Bake for ten to fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly brown on edges.  Kale should get crisper as it cools--but you might have to experiment a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment