Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23. La Isla Bonita. Penne with roasted zucchini, tomatoes, parsley and thai basil.

Fish on Taco Truck
Spent a bit too much in yoga thinking about lunch tacos.  After admiring the bas relief fish covering the far side of the Isla Bonita truck, I decided to forego my usual sea food fare and ordered two tacos--one carne asada and one carnitas. It might not have been the fish that dissuaded me.  It was cold and damp--i wanted to eat at home rather than curbside and those tightly rolled tacos travel much better than the carefully arranged ceviche and camaron tostados.  Plus--I may be on a program to work my way through the menu.   


In my current re-infatuation with the Isla Bonita truck, I'd forgotten the many veggies I'd recently bought.  I had assumed I'd finish the tuna this evening, but instead I went to work on the squash from a long-ago farmer's market and these quite lovely asparagus from the 99¢ store.  Here they are--with just a dribble of olive oil and black pepper--ready for a round of roasting.
Also roasted the red and yellow pepper from the 99¢ store.
Here they are after roasting,  before and after peeling.


As lovely as they are, these peppers didn't make it into tonight's dinner--they went straight to Tupperware, as did those quite tasty (I did sample one or two) asparagus.   I'm pleased to note I did not have to put every single vegetable into my penne pasta dish.

While the vegetables were roasting, and the water was coming to a boil, I sauteed one small onion and three garlic cloves--as they began to brown I added a splash of red wine--let it boil away, then added two of my frozen chicken broth cubes, and yesterday's roasted tomatoes. Chopped the yellow and green roasted squash as well as parsley and thai basil.  Cooked about half a pound of penne. Tossed the penne, squash and herbs into the pan.  Heated it through and served with freshly grated parmesan.  Didn't do very well in its photograph, but looked good enough in person and made a fine meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment