Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 31. Art. Lunch. Art.

Katya came by at 11.  First stop of the day was LA Louvre to see the Frederick Hammersley and Charles Garabedian shows.  They were both excellent--work that I wasn't at all familiar with (though Katya, of course, was).
Lunch
It was cold, gray and drizzly when we made our way back home, where I'd promised Katya a proper lunch.  Of course, there were masses of left-overs, but in addition to the pasta with eggplant and zucchini and black beans and rice and cucumber and radish salad, I cooked up a fresh round of brussels sprouts and served it all with mango in lime juice.  And, of course, a sliver of that long-lasting key-lime pie for dessert.

Good walkers that we are, we made our way back to Katya's, where she brewed up two cups of excellent coffee to go for our next art foray to LACMA.  Oh--it was one packed art day.  Our first stop was the members preview for The Plumed Serpent a small but excellent exhibit of mostly pre-Columbian Mexican art, then on to Chris Burden's Metropolis II, a scene of fabulous chaos--huge crowds taking advantage of a free museum day to marvel at miniature cars zooming through a wild urban landscape.  Shifting gears, we were lured into the huge retrospective of the photography of Robert Adams--it was all news to us--and breath-taking in yet another way.

Wrapped Rock
Before leaving,  we managed to catch a glimpse of the huge wrapped rock awaiting its promised levitation and even got to listen to a band playing  California Girls before heading home with a quick stop at Trader Joe's--yet another California contribution to the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment