Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Friday, March 30, 2012

March 30th. Egg McMuffin. Penne with spinach and Ricotta.

Carol's school vacation began today--how could I resist meeting her at Fred Segal for coffee before my noon yoga class.
For whatever reasons, the offerings at the coffee bar didn't appeal (the more proper restaurant across the street no longer served breakfast--did it ever?).
Was there another place that would meet my highly specific pre-yoga needs?  I didn't want to be overwhelmed with hunger during class, but I could't eat too much--vinyasas are no fun with a full stomach.  All these rules and regulations are completely ordinary in these food phobic times--but hard not to think of them as a function of age as well. We wandered through the new Santa Monica Place--I think it was already after 10AM--the food court looked open, but no food was being served.
I might not admit this in yoga class, but what I really wanted at that exact moment was an Egg McMuffin.  I'd never been to either of the MacDonald's in downtown Santa Monica but from our vantage point atop the still empty mall, we could see the  Colorado MacDonalds and within minutes found ourselves in what might have been the liveliest morning spots in the neighborhood.   Who would have guessed?   I haven't done that much research but do believe that the Egg McMuffin, whatever it's flaws (egg cooked in margarine for example) is one of the best items on the menu-as well as the inspiration for many upscale variations on the Canadian bacon, cheese and egg theme?  In any case, it was exactly what I needed.  Carol, a champion of self-control, didn't eat a thing.

Fortified, with plenty of time to digest, we returned to Fred Segal in time for both my yoga class and a proper latte for Carol.

That night salad and the left-over penne with spinach and ricotta,  with a sliver of key lime pie for a quick and easy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment