Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21st. Left-over triumphs!

Black beans are incredible.  Add them to anything.  That's what I was doing today.

Mid-morning--the chicken soup (it really turned into a stew--chunks of chicken, potatoes, carrots, etc.) was completely transformed by addition of black beans and corn.  Made a little cheese quesadilla--a lot of food for mid-morning--but was going to a noon yoga class-followed by many errands--and needed fortification that would carry me through.

This was the day of appointment with Jack the Taxman--why I call it an appointment is a mystery--it's really just a deadline for me to get all things in order and drop them off at his office. Deadline met!  Went straight from yoga--parked in the afore-mentioned Whole Foods Parking Lot (tax man, conveniently enough is
right across the street).  Couldn't resist another run into the 99¢ store--more pasilla peppers, asparagus, organic lettuces, etc.   then, on to my search for European latches for bathroom cabinet.  That venture will be concluded tomorrow--oh the chores  that keep me out of the kitchen!  To tide us over pictorially, here's one of the many signs on this excellent corner.  I'm embarrassed to admit that until I saw this depiction of Abraham Lincoln and the Rose, I don't think I ever associated either of those streets with Presidents or Flowers.

Didn't get home until close to four.  Starving.  Heated up the left-over chile rellenos, as well as left-over bean, chicken mixture from this morning.  Could that count as dinner?

I was hoping it would--but after a walk with Lisa, couldn't resist joining her and Gar for some of their excellent left-overs (chicken marengo and chard--very delicious--but I did just have a tiny plate).

And that was the end of a day of minimal cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment