Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 13. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. No cooking. Just an accounting.

Started off with coffee and a bagel I found in the freezer, with cream cheese and pepper jelly. The bagel was consumed, but here is a fine photo of the jelly. And because this is a day which will not have much pictorial documentation, here's a picture of my new favorite pepper jelly from Trader Joe's .

And lest it feel over-looked, here's my own home-made sweet tomato which has been a favorite for many years (and never had a special affinity for cream cheese, so should not be threatened by pepper jelly--but you can never be sure about such things).

That breakfast held me until around 1:30 when did some refrigerator reconnaissance for a lunch of left-over salad--the greens, cucumber and radish, half an aging avocado and some slices of that splendid chicken--along with the left-over breakfast coffee, now iced.  And a most excellent Oreo--developed a fondness for them in Vietnam where they were sold everywhere in tiny packets--couldn't resist buying a very small package at the 99 cents store (for, you guessed it 99 cents)

4pm--little snack--banana with yogurt.

Lisa called around 5--thinking of a walk--but I was in the middle of ten thousand things and 'tho it was enticing, decided not to let myself be interrupted.  She called back minutes later to invite me for dinner--and since dinner can scarcely be called an interruption (at least not in my food-centered life), I had no trouble accepting that offer--noting the extra bonus of getting to walk there and back.

I brought my left-over kale with mushrooms, and the roasted peppers.  Lisa had made a delicious braised chuck roast (Gar is a genius at buying cheap meats on sale at Ralph's and keeps them well-supplied) and roasted cauliflower as well.

A fine meal and time was had by all.  And I do believe I didn't cook one thing all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment