Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, March 24, 2012

March 24th. Mango Salad. Banana Bread, Cheeses. Salad. Clocks. Chile Relleno Dinner

A Saturday snacking breakfast--coffee with banana bread, many cheeses  Fresh squeezed orange juice and delicious mango salad (with lime and chile) were the only additions to the rapidly accumulating leftovers.

For lunch we had a grand salad, baby greens and arugula with hard-boiled eggs, multi-colored baby peppers and cherry tomatoes, scallions, cucumber, radishes, raisins, nuts and stilton--very California. There was some more nibbling on the frittata (it's almost gone--we'd forgotten it at breakfast), the roasted  tomatoes and roasted peppers with feta.  Oh--and as a special bonus I roasted half a cauliflowers worth of florets.  We were one crew of happy eaters.

Next stop--LACMA to see The Clock. The 24 hour film, a collage of thousands of film clips created by Christian Marclay, as promised, mesmerizing and an astounding treat. It was showing from noon Saturday to noon Sunday.  Lots of discussion of how to avoid the crowds--but while we were there--there were no crowds to avoid. Alone, I might have stayed for many more hours, convinced that we'd have the opportunity to catch the remaining 21 hours, we stayed from 5:30-8:30 before heading home for a late dinner.

Chile Rellenos (Madison Condon, 2012)
Working non-stop with excellent sous-chefing by Sam, Madison and Amar, we recreated last week's chile relleno dinner.  Plenty of left-over rice and beans, but we did have to make a new batch of tomato sauce and chiles, as well as a fresh cabbage salad.  Appropriately enough, we were very conscious of the time.  Given our very late start, despite our cooking efficiency, We didn't dine until 11:03.
Clock Plate by Sam, circa 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment