Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17th. Rainy Day Leftovers. Chicken Soup. Steak sandwich.

Huge storm predicted--didn't quite come through but in anticipation stayed home through drizzle and gray, thinking about doing taxes and eating leftovers.

Sauteed and onion, a stalk of celery and a carrot--when they were soft and brownish, added them to the re-heated chicken broth along with the left-over chicken--not too zippy--so added lime juice, chopped and chile sauce from Albuquerque that I found in fridge.  Perfect--and enough left for tomorrow.

That was lunch.  For dinner, such as it was, a steak sandwich with smoked gouda, horseradish and russian dressing with lettuce on rye.  And a few squares of chocolate for dessert.

No cooking and no photos.  Now at 11 pm, there's some serious rain--perhaps it will continue through the night.  The marathon is tomorrow--last year it was torrential--in my two marathon years (98 and 99) I don't think we even thought about rain possibilities.  Were we just lucky or is the weather turning inside out?

We're so convinced it never rains in southern California, our capacity for weather surprise is unbounded.  And now, two minutes later, as I finish this sentence, the rain has stopped as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment