Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, March 19, 2012

March 19th- Chile Rellenos, Black Beans, Rice, Cabbage, Carrot and Romaine Salad

wAlthough Drea was coming alone for dinner, I was planning to prepare a plate for her to take home to Sam who was working late.  This meant I could cook for multitudes.
The basic menu:  Chile Rellenos, Black Beans, Rice, Cabbage, Romaine and Carrot Salad and Sauteed Bananas for Dessert.  There were also assorted left-over salads and cheese--plenty of food indeed.
The black beans had been dutifully soaking overnight. This is a recipe I've made for years.  In the blog recipe, I add more water and call it a soup, but more on that later.  I started them cooking right away--I always throw an onion, a celery and a carrot into the pot--not sure if it adds flavor or not--maybe it's just an offering to the bean gods.

As the beans cook away, you will prepare the sofrito.  The instructions are pretty straightforward on the recipe blog,  as a bonus, here are the vegetables chopped before Cuisinart, and in their post-cuisinart slurry.

While all this is going on, move right along to the
Chile rellenos,  which I prepare pretty much as described in 52 recipes.   Here it is in a more compressed recipe format.

TOMATO SAUCE
One large, or two medium sized onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Olive Oil
1/4 cup red wine
2 cups mashed tomatoes with juice (can easily and happily be canned)
cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves (optional--mix and match)

Saute onion in olive oil until soft.  I use a really large pan onions barely cover the bottom because at the end, I put the finished peppers on top of the sauce (you don't need a massive amount of sauce --the peppers don't swim in it).  Add the garlic, cook another minute or two.  If you're using wine, add it now, letting it mostly boil away.  Add the chopped tomatoes and spices, cover and simmer on low flame until sauce thickens.  Depending on your timing, you might want to turn it off--and re-heat it just before serving.

While the sauce is cooking, or even before, if you've read through before starting (always a wise practice)--you should take those lovely peppers that you might remember from yesterday, put them on a cookie tin lightly brushed with olive oil and roast them in the broiler until they look more or less like those shriveled darlings above (the red and yellow bell peppers just went along for the ride--they're destined for a future with a little white vinegar, salt and garlic).

OK--here's the recipe for the chiles themselves.

6-8 chiles, pasilla or poblano
Cheese for stuffing--I tend use whatever I have--but Queso Fresco is always good--also monterey jack, cheddar, whatever
3-6 eggs depending on size and number of chiles, separated
Flour
Canola Oil

When the peppers are done (see picture), pop them into a bag and let them steam for a while.  This will make it really easy to remove the skins.   The peeling and stuffing of the peppers always seems intimidating--but as I've written--there is nothing to be frightened  off.  Try not to tear the peppers, but if you do, don't worry--the batter will act like glue..your peppers will look perfect!  Be Patient. Be Calm.

Make a slit in each pepper and slip a bit of cheese inside.  I used queso fresco, with bits of cheddar and goat cheese.  They weren't all the same--but who would know?  When the peppers were stuffed, I closed up the slit, rolled them in flour and took their picture.  This might be the moment to start heating the canola oil in a heavy duty pan--I use enough to come part way up the peppers--then--on to the batter!  Whip the egg whites until they are white and foamy and pretty stiff.  Gently, fold in the beaten egg yolks, and toss in a few tablespoons of flour.  You should have a pretty thick batter.  Working quickly, so the batter doesn't separate, perhaps using a spoon or spatula, dip the peppers, one at a time into the batter--then slip them into the oil.  This time, due perhaps to my slowness, the batter lost some of its cohesiveness--but I just poured it atop the peppers in the pan--and that worked--repeating the miracle of keeping the cheese from escaping.  When golden brown on one side, turn peppers over.  When both sides are nicely cooked, slip them into the sauce which you've now returned to a simmer.  And you're done.

I served the chiles with black beans, rice, and a salad of romaine, cabbage and carrots.   Here's a picture of Drea's plate.  Not sure why it's blurry--was it  trying to dance?  Or was I?


Sauteed bananas for dessert once again.  Made a plate-to-go for Sam.  And that was that.









No comments:

Post a Comment