Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Sunday, March 18, 2012

March 18th. Soup, Scrambled Eggs and Leftovers.

Today--Sunday--despite ominous warnings of harsh rain (it's Marathon day here in Los Angeles)--it's cool and sunny--perfect running weather.   Not so perfect for tax preparation tasks--but so be it.
Woke up with shopping lists and menus swirling.  Planning to make chile rellenos for Drea tomorrow was thinking I'd use something besides cheese (my standard) for filling as I think she's lactose intolerant as well as vegetarian.  I'll make black beans--either for stuffing or side dish--so more shopping will be necessary.

Did a brief internet search for recipes--discovered that poblano peppers (not pasillas) are often the pepper of choice--but I can deal with that.

But--in my quick survey, I stumbled on many many blog sites (and really this was only in about two minutes).  Such impressive design!  So many excellent step-by-step photos!  Is this a path I should take?  Not exactly my skill set, but we shall see.

Did make some headway on my papers.  I threw out ancient receipts and requests from government agencies, banks, insurance companies, etc. before stopping for what I considered a very well-deserved lunch break.  I re-heated the soup--thick with chicken and vegetables and poached an egg in it while watching  to Springsteen's "keynote speech" at sXsw.   I  poured the soup over a fried tortilla, livening it with New Mexican chile sauce and some squeezes of lime.  A perfect and quick meal for a cold day.
By late afternoon enough progress to leave for a 6:15 yoga class--then to my favorite shopping combo--99¢ store and Whole Foods.
Here's the excellent video on the very parking lot that serves those two stores ('tho 99¢ is omitted from that narrative, you often see the three tiered sign for Whole Foods, 99¢ and CVS (which I neglected to say I also visited this evening).

I found  many brilliantly colored bell peppers (red, yellow and orange) which will be happy to meet the deep green pasillas I bought there the other day.  Also got whole wheat flour tortillas, black beans, dried and canned, sparkling water and graham crackers  before heading to Whole Foods.  I've sometimes found all sorts of organic greens at the 99  cents, and had thought they might just be sending them over from next door, but Heith, the produce man, also a Venice neighbor, said this is not the case.  There was a 3 day sale at Whole Foods of organic carrots, cabbages and potatoes for 69 cents a pound.  A deal I couldn't resist.  And since I was running out of my Black Gold from Ground Works, bought a half pound of French Roast there as well before heading home for a very late dinner.
I'd thought I might have a steak sandwich, but the howling winds mandated a hot meal once again--so I scrambled two eggs, heated up the faux caponata from Friday night along with a slice of the minty, garlic/pomegranate infused tri-tip and was as happy as can be.




2 comments:

  1. have you been starving this week?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no--just a little slow on the posting-buried in papers for taxes. More soon enough. Be patient!

      Delete