Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 22nd. Left-over lunch. Midnight meal--frittata, banana bread, veggies and cream cheese cake

Left-over lunch.  Oh that tri-tip is lasting forever.  Made another hash variation--steak, potatoes, onions, basil, and jalapenos which I ate on a tortilla.

After picking up the European latches for bathroom cabinet (more on that very soon), went to Tru-Valu--great Mexican market on Inglewood and Culver--then home to start preparations for Sam's arrival tonight!

He's arriving at 10:45--well after mid-night EDT,not proper meal time, according to me, but given my current cooking mode--how could I not have many meals waiting for returning son.

First item--cream cheese cake--classic 1950's is straight from Betty Jacoby--I've been making it for forty years!!


And yet, as I finished spooning the filling onto the crust, I licked the spatula.  Something was not right!   I'd forgotten the sugar.  It wasn't too late.  I scooped some of the mixture back into the bowl, added the  1/2 cup of sugar--spooned it back in--trying to mix the sugared with the un-sugared,  hoping it would  all merge together in either  the cooking or  the eating.

Took a yoga break and on my return,  finished the onion and zucchini frittata, and baked a banana bread.  Also roasted tomatoes, cauliflower and asparagus.

We had a fine mid-night snack of all of the above.  These are morning after pictures (veggies gone)--and yes, the cheese cake was just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment