Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 9th. Quesadillas. 99¢ Store Blowout. Leaping Dollphins.

Continuing to forge  new routines, I biked to a 9am yoga class, and then biked--prepared this time with backpack as well as assorted carrying bags to the 99¢ store.  What was I thinking? I shopped as if I had a wheel barrow or a crew of basket bearing servants waiting in the parking lot.  But it was just me and my bike.  Two giant artichokes.  Huge box of mixed greens.  Brussels sprouts.  Peppers. Celery.  Carrots. Portobello mushrooms.  And more.  Much more.   I filled the basket, stuffed the backpack and still had the red bag bursting with produce as I rode home a bit less balanced, but still bearing some resemblance to the  bike-riding Vietnamese braving the motor-bike stuffed streets of Hanoi.
Made it home without incident, another feather in my bike-helmet.
Met Linda on the beach--as I walked to meet her, for the first time in a year, I scanned the horizon for dolphins.  I hadn't   seen any since my return.  As we sat and visited on the sand, in the glowing late afternoon sun, I caught the flash of dolphin.  There they were---leaping, riding waves, and once even swirling upward like a breaching whale, a beach thrill.
Big salad with shadows
We returned to my house just before sunset where in record time, I put together a slightly Meixcan salad using some of my grand 99¢ haul---romaine lettuce, corn, black beans, cucumber, mango, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, pepper jack cheese and lime taco chips.   A sampling of coffee and chocolate ice cream for dessert before driving Linda home.

No comments:

Post a Comment