Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11. Sardines with celery salad. Mashed potato spinach pancakes. roasted tomatoes. Portobello mushrooms in japanese sauce. Vegetarian sausage!!

I'd been thinking tuna salad and chopped a few stalks of celery towards that end, but after chopping up two  persian cucumbers and a handful of cherry tomatoes as well, there was too much salad for a little can of tuna.  I discovered a mysterious can of wild sardines, origins unknown (I do know they were "sustainably caught along the california coast," but don't know how they got into my cabinet, nor am I sure what it means to be sustainably caught but it sounds righteous enough).  Made a neat little salade compose of these various parts, topped it all with lime juice and that was lunch.
And, soon thereafter it was dinner time.  Still lots of left-overs and aging vegetables to utilize.  I boiled a fine assortment of potatoes (after removing their little sprouts) from the farmer's market,  and was about to mash them to eat with the left-over slightly creamed spinach, but instead mixed the spinach and potatoes together shaped a few tablespoons into neat little patties and sauteed them along with another mysterious discovery in my freezer--vegetarian sausage patties.  With a few slices of   left-over portobellos on salad greens and roasted tomatoes, felt like a very well-rounded left-over dinner.
clockwise: vegetarian sausage patty, roasted tomatoes, portobellos on greens, potato, spinach patty

No comments:

Post a Comment