Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, June 27, 2012

June 27. "Love the Locals" at Ozumo. Salted Caramel sauce

I had been planning to go to the 99¢ Store post yoga, so had my backpack and money with me--most unusual.   Biking past the promenade, I remembered that I'd seen a sign outside one of the restaurants on the third floor dining deck advertising a special for local residents, with a select $3 menu.

i looked a bit too much like a local--yoga clothes, bike helmet, but--boldly, oh so boldly, I made my way to the restaurant, Ozuma.  Turns out to be a branch of an upscale San Francisco restaurant--the locals special is offered on the terrace and at the bar, not in the very large (and very empty) restaurant that stretched out beyond it.  I ordered three three dollar dishes--a spicy tuna roll, fried calamari and tempura.  Portions (especially of the calamari) were ample.  I was satisfied at the time--but biking home I did have some profound cravings for sweets, which I addressed by cooking up a very quick and easy salted caramel sauce which I poured over apple slices (and a tiny bit of coffee ice cream as well).

The caramel sauce was ridiculously easy.   I don't remember ever making it before, but I poked around on the internet and although I have future plans for variations--this is what I did today:
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into relatively small pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon coarse grain salt

Put the sugar and water in a heavy bottomed 2 quart saucepan and cook over medium high heat.  Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil--stop stirring and watch carefully until it becomes a beautiful golden brown.  As soon as it looks similar to the sauce in the picture, quickly add the butter.  It will foam up.  Don't worry.  When the butter is melted, remove from the heat--wait a few seconds--then mix in the heavy cream.  Add the salt and stir until its all mixed properly.
It will thicken as it cools.  You can then pour it into a glass jar, drizzle some on ice-cream or fruit or whatever and store the rest in the refrigerator when it cools a bit.  It will get very thick when cold, which means you can either just eat it with a spoon or warm it up before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment