Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 30. Frittata. Bar-B-Que with Butterscotch Brownies. Early Fireworks.

Busy Saturday.  Went to beach yoga for the first time in years.  The group has grown exponentially (or maybe this is summer).  I used to much more accepting of dealing with the sand and the sun--but it is certainly a treat in its own particular way--especially the moment of looking out at the breaking waves upside down at water's edge (you don't need a class for this, but I for one, much prefer doing peculiar poses in a large crowd rather than by myself).

Came home and made butterscotch brownies, an old stand-by, to bring to the bar-B-Que at Lois and Laurie's.  Is it possible this is the first time I've made them in months?  The Santa Monica fireworks at Santa Monica College are always terrific.  After years of Fourth of July Fireworks at the pier with civic worries about gang violence (this was some time ago), and bizarre attempts to contribute to civic piece with fireworks at dawn (there were a few years when we roller-skated and skate boarded at 4 (or was it 5am) along with hundreds of other sleep deprived patriots only to marvel at vague shimmers of light through the thick morning fog.  At some point the city father and mothers came up with the idea of celebrating the Saturday night before the Fourth with a grand display at Santa Monica college. Oh--perhaps, according to this, a quite thorough historical explanation, it is not the city--but the college which puts on this show.  As an prelude to the College fireworks,  Lois and Laurie instituted their party, followed by a stroll to the college, and the event, despite its convoluted and peculiar history is always a treat.  This year, I biked there and back--my first longish night-time ride on quiet Santa Monica Streets--and that was pretty fabulous as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment