Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18th. Artichokes. Mayonnaise. Pasta Salad.

After all that birthday dining, the departure breakfast for Elena and Christian was minimal--yogurt with cherries,  mango, kiwi and pecans.
For post-yoga lunch there were plenty of left-overs from last week--artichokes with mayonnaise as well as the left-over pasta which I turned into a salad.

Lisa and Gar, invited me for dinner to finish up the Thai-style baby back ribs Lisa had prepared for her brother's  birthday dinner on Saturday night from a recipe in last week's New York Times.  I brought over rajas con crema which I'd made with a batch of particularly spicy pasilla chiles.

INGREDIENTS
4 pasilla chiles, roasted, peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 good sized onion, thinly sliced
a few tablespoons sour cream
queso fresco (White Mexican cheese).

Saute the onion in olive oil until soft--it's fine if you cook it longer to slightly caramelize.  Add the strips of pepper along with the cream and cheese.  Heat through and serve.   
The rajas were a perfect match for the ribs.  And Lisa had made  a salad of lettuce and jicama as well.

Elena just sent me this article about Venice from tomorrow's times.  My tour had been so thorough, it was old news to her (the bit about google vs. bodybuilders is a bit of a false hook--but so be it).

No comments:

Post a Comment