Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Friday, June 15, 2012

June 15. More Biking to Social Security. Tsujita

Oh I was pleased as punch to have all my forms--the marriage certificate had an excellent raised seal, but the certified divorce papers that I'd acquired with such effort--I wasn't sure they were quite correct.  My man at Social Security (let's call him S)  had provided an addressed standard sized envelope to send him the documents--but I was the proud possessor of over twenty official papers.  "Mmm', he murmured when I reached him  on the phone.  "Would you like an appointment?"  "When?", I asked.  Turns out he was available at 1:00 today.  So--off to 10am yoga and from there biked down Broadway to the appointment, all forms stashed in my excellent saddle bag.  
This time, I sat facing Patty Duke and George Takei, in full Star Trek garb, urging their contemporaries (that would be me) to use the internet to enroll in Social Security.
Remembering Patty Duke in the Miracle Worker on Broadway with Anne Bancroft (is it possible that Hilda and I snuck into see the second act--no--we often did that, but I think for this one, we'd bought the cheapest seats and snuck into the front row of the orchestra for the second act.  We've all moved on.
Who knows where this will end?  My papers were dutifully copied.  I still need R's birth certificate.  One of these days all things will be in order.

The Waiting List--just made it!!
In the meantime I was starving.  It was close to two pm--I needed a meal before biking home.  S, a very serious food person (this had been established on my last visit) told me the place to go was Tsujita, the latest rage in Japanese noodles on Sawtelle.  Off I went.  I got there at 1:59, put my name on the waiting list--read a sign that said no orders taken after 2:00.  My heart sank.  But the waitress assured me there was  no cause for alarm, as she emphatically closed the list with yellow highlighter.

I had been planning to get the Ramen, but my waitress told me that for my first Tsujita experience I had to go with the tsukamen, thicker, chewier noodles in a pork broth so dense and delicious that it obviated the need for dinner, despite my many miles of biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment