Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 19th. Pasta Salad again. San Pedro car storage. In 'n' Out

Re-cycled penne pasta salad once again.  A return trip to chair store before meeting Lisa to drive (in two cars) to San Pedro, where she is storing her car for ten weeks.
After these many weeks of eschewing the car in favor of my bike, a reminder of the travails of traffic.  Heading south at 3pm, the 405 is crawling.  Truth is, I don't mind it.  In addition to being car adverse these days, I'm also a bit news adverse, so not the worst thing to catch up on some news reports.  But all that driving gave me plenty of time to think of quick meals we might get.  Sea food in San Pedro, Japanese food in Torrance.  Many possibilities.  By the time Lisa had parked her car on the roof of the parking structure and joined me in the Camry, it was after 5--appropriate enough for a late afternoon snack, or even an early dinner.  Alas, Lisa informed me, she had Gar had been invited to dine  at a friend's--so no time for a dinner outing for us.  But always interested in a food outing, she agreed to stop with me at one of the many In'n'Outs I'd spotted on the drive down.   I got to explain the intricacies of the secret menu at the In 'n' Out near the airport.  Got my usual #!--Animal style (but now I know I can ask for medium rare), and well done fries.
Odds and ends from Lisa and Gar's fridge adjusting to their new home
Lisa and Gar had a dinner invitation, but no means of transport.  How could I not continue as emergency chauffeur?   As a reward for all this driving, I became the recipient of the contents of their emptied out refrigerator--bits of cheeses, jicama, apples,sweet cherry peppers, pickles, jams, bacon--a grab bag of surprise goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment