Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4. Hamburgers on Pretzel Rolls with Caramelized Onions, Brussels Sprouts with bacon and dates, Roasted Cauliflower.

No Yoga at noon--but late lunch none-the-less with Kate whom I haven't seen in months.
Pretzel Rolls waiting for their Burgers
A perfect opportunity to make burgers with the chopped meat I'd bought at The Harris Ranch.  Not much to prepare, but I did bike to 3 Square Bakery  and bought two pretzel rolls--to play the part of Hamburger rolls as they do in the pretzel burgers.  Also caramelized two onions to a rich dark brown and cooked up bacon.
There was about a fourth of a cauliflower which I sliced and roasted, and also made a round of brussels sprouts with bacon and dates--using up the last of the sprouts and bacon.  I had avocados,  roast  beets and  artichokes,but restrained myself and served Kate a lunch of an open faced  hamburger on half a pretzel rolls with caramelized onions, bacon and arugula.  Cauliflower and brussels sprouts on the side.  A very proper lunch followed by a walk on the beach where the sun had just successfully burned off the last of the fog.
Lisa called to suggest we join forces for dinner, so although I was still sated from that late lunch, I biked over with greens and roasted beets for salad, as well as the pasilla chiles I'd roasted and peeled yesterday.  Lisa, remembering our excellent chile rellenos, had roasted and peeled three chiles herself, but in a nod to speed and simplicity, we decided to go the rajas con crema route.  We didn't have any Mexican crema, but did quite well with a mixture of sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt (doing the good work of emptying Lisa and Gar's refrigerator as well).   The rajas were an excellent accompaniment to bar-b-qued pulled pork from TJ's with rice and an arugula and beet salad.  After a dessert of halvah and tiny chick pea cookies, with many lights   a-flashing, I biked home along ever-bustling Abbot Kinney.

No comments:

Post a Comment