Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Thursday, September 20, 2012

September 20. Rajas con Crema with scrambled eggs. Carol's birthday. Hunan Eggplant. Nice Cream.

Elena leaving early for the Huntington, but time enough for me to make Rajas con crema with scrambled eggs for a proper breakfast with Elena.

She went off to the Huntingdon.  I went to yoga hours later, breakfast, praise be, well digested.

Carol called, as planned late in the afternoon.  Turns out today is her birthday (I have it listed, on my list of significant dates, but alas, as is often the case, it had slipped right by).

I instantly invited her to stop by (this had always been the plan--even when I was birthday ignorant).

She reminded me that thirty years ago, for that long ago important birthday, I'd made a most excellent roast chicken with tarragon from the Julia Child cookbook, that was my special occasion recipe for years. 

I had not made such a grand effort this year.  We had assorted left-over snacks (I'd done lots of shopping before Elena's visit)--humus, roasted cauliflower, bits of frittata--and once I learned about the occasion I'd put up brown rice and made one more round of my new favorite--hunan eggplant.  I only had one small eggplant, but since I had all the necessary ingredients, it  fit the bill.


One Eggplant's worth of Hunan Eggplant in wok


We were having such a fine time, it was almost seven when we looked at the clock and realized we'd have to hurry to catch Grace who was working at Nice Cream a few blocks south on the Ocean Front Walk, for a little bit of birthday ice cream.  The store was in fact closed, but Grace was there and waiting--and was happy to let us have all the tastes we needed before settling on salted caramel gelato (actually I had mine with a little chocolate sorbet as well).  A fine birthday time was had by all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment