Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16. Challah and Apples with Honey, Hunan Eggplant. Tomato, Corn and Cucumber Salad. Green Salad with Figs and Cheese.

Woke up thinking about New Year preparations.   This is my third New Year in 9 months (had the extra bonus of Tet in Vietnam).  I've never been a champion of Rosh Hashonah meals, but I am quite committed to the round challah and apples dipped in honey.  In years gone by, I've plotted and planned to get my challah on time (they do sell out at the best bakeries), and I've even been known to bake my own.

Not this year.  Here it was the morning before--Rosh Hashonah-inappropriate spare ribs in the fridge--and no ceremonial dishes or guests.   Addressing myself to some of these issues, I biked to the Ocean Park Farmer's Market.  I'd been thinking I'd go to the lovelier Mar Vista market--but biking on the bike path in the heat is so preferable to trundling down Venice Boulevard, there was no contest.

Brioche, impersonating Round Challah for the New Year

I knew the Bread Man sold challah, but he was no-where to be found.  Stopped at the only bread outlet, Ca'Oro--where I was instantly offered a bag of four brioches.  This was not an option I'd exercised before, but earlier this morning, I'd suggested to Sarah that is she couldn't find a remaining round Challah mid-afternoon in Brooklyn, she could probably substitute brioche.  And here I was with my own brioche alternative. To celebrate their potential excellence, I bought a little jar of sage honey, fresh from the hives.   I'd assumed the apples would be the easiest part of my mission.  Wrong again. We're still in the midst of stone fruit abundance--nectarines, plums, peaches, not an apple in sight.  On the way home, I stopped at One Life. Many apples.  Organic $3.50 a pound.  Is this possible?  That would be close to $3 an apple.  They had non-organic Braeburn's for $1.99.  One would be enough for me, but I am always shopping for those as yet un-named visitors, so I bought two and headed home, on my way to the New Year. 

Getting Ready for New Years Dinner
Called Natasha around 5pm.  Days ago we'd discussed possibility of sunset walk on beach.  I attempted to lure her with promises of honeyed bread and apples.  It worked.  She and Joe showed up at my door with bags of bounty from their garden -- and we headed to the beach.  We by-passed the thousands (I don't think that's an exaggeration gathered at the drum circle), and walked along the sand as the brilliant orange/pink sun sank into the sea.

Returning home, we set to work preparing a meal.  Natasha made two salads--tomatoes from their garden with my cucumbers and kernels from the corn I'd bought at the Wednesday market (I'd cooked the corn earlier and it was still delicious)  and a green salad--arugula, kale, mixed greens with figs and cheese.  I had my left-over hunan eggplant and rice, as well as the herb frittata--and to start of course--we had blessings over the candles, the brioche/challah, and apples and honey as well.

It was a  fine beginning  to the New Year as well as an excellent example of my favorite way to entertain--some seemingly random shopping, a walk and spontaneous supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment