Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11. Frittata. Drumsticks alla cacciatora.


Emily came over for some editing work.  For lunch, I made a different fritata--well--not that different.  Sauteed onions and chopped zucchini--mixed with six eggs, left-over brown rice, parsley, dill, grated parmesan and chopped smoked mozzarella-


The five drumsticks I'd been defrosting were ready to be cooked. Although I wasn't sure if I wanted a proper meal, the gray afternoon seemed a good moment to do some cooking.  I had been thinking just marinating the legs in some soy sauce brew but couldn't resist one of my favorites--Marcella Hazan's Pollo alla cacciatora.  I love the sauce--lots of onions, garlic, carrots, celery and pepper--there wasn't going to be much meat (how far can five drumsticks go?)--but this is a dish that always makes me happy--so although I had no plans to eat it that evening, I was happy to do all that browning and sauteeing--I'm often  happy enough just filling the house with the aromas and sensations of meal preparation---the actual meal is just gravy.  At the last minute I added the fresh tomato sauce I'd made the other day--so all in all it was quite a fine meal waiting to be eaten.  
While the chicken was cooking, I found two good sized  portabello mushrooms in the fridge.  They'd been there a bit too long, so I sauteed them with garlic and parsley....also for a future meal. 
A little nibbling on all of this counted as dinner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment