Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, September 12, 2012

September 12. Hunan Eggplant--Again!! Drumsticks with Tomatoes and Onions

Salad for lunch with long-ago roasted golden beets.
Filling the gap left by absence of Ashtanga teachers, I went to a yoga workshop at 10, which meant I had time for the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmer's Market.  Summer Bounty!!  Japanese eggplants, zucchini, tomatoes, lemon basil (by mistake--wanted thai or regular--but so be it).  I'd come prepared with backpack, so easily biked all that produce home.

Lena came by late afternoon with Phoebe who has just learned to almost crawl.  She crawls, but doesn't yet realize it's full locomotive potential.  We were quite happy chatting and watching as she made her way to assorted toys I brought from my quite ample supply box.

Patty called as we were bidding farewell.  She's just returned after months in Michigan and was happy to join me for dinner.  This is the situation I claim I most enjoy---a surprise dinner guest--no time to shop--just poking through the fridge and  cupboards to see what I can whip up.
New Round of Hunan Eggplant
Of course, I had that chicken in a sauce that had been getting better by the moment--the cacciatore sauce and the fresh tomato sauce had been augmented by the portobello mushrooms.  And I had a new batch of Japanese eggplants for another round of hunan eggplant.  I put up brown rice as soon as I hung up the phone--that would take about 40 minutes, but everything else could be ready in minutes.  Patty arrived with salad and ice-cream and we had a splendid feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment