Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 5th. Salad with hardboiled egg, tomatoes, avocado. Rajas con cream quesadilla.

Salad for a very late lunch.

Later, remembering the many pasilla chiles I'd roasted on Friday after all that shopping with Sam and a 1/2 pint of un-opened heavy cream bought months ago (expiration date finally nearing),


the time had come for rajas with crema.   I substituted the cream for a Mexican variation and it was just fine.  Then made a quesadilla with cheese and rajas as well as a corn salad with red pepper, dill, chives and scallions.
Despite my vows to let the conventions pass me by, I ate my quesadilla Did it while watching the DNC.  I was completely sucked in yesterday--by Michelle Obama's shoulders as much as by her speech.  I'd heard smidgens of the Republican Convention while driving (these radio moments are something I've lost with all my biking), and then was alerted by Laura T. to find Clint Eastwood and chair on the internet--violating my resolve to not spend an iota of time on the conventions.   And now, here I am lured in by the Michelle/Maddow combo, deciding to stay home and watch the second night.

Soon after I finished my early supper after my late lunch,  Lisa called.  She and Gar are back in town for a few weeks and she was happy to stop by for some rajas and convention watching.

Delighted that my rajas were going to eaten so quickly, I added more cream to the generous amount of remaining sauteed onions and peppers for the next round of rajas.  Alas, distracted by something--e-mail?  convention?  I solved the problem of too-many-peppers by burning most of them to a crisp.  Was able to salvage about one quesadilla worth for Lisa--which we prepared about 35 minutes into Bill's speech.  She happily ate it accompanied by the unburned corn salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment