Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, April 23, 2012

April 23. Tea with Lena and Phoebe. Matzoh and Banana Bread. Leftovers for lunch and dinner

Woke up early enough to eat a proper breakfast before noon yoga.  Made matzoh brei, which always feels like a grand treat. Now that I'm biking to and from yoga, I return home seriously starving.  Still working my way through the greens, I fried up some bits of bacon (did I mention that I've diced the big chunks of bacon ends I'd bought at Trader Joe's and put them in the freezer--when I remember, I toss them into the little black pan and add to salads or whatever).   I also managed to perfectly boil two eggs (they were indeed picture perfect, rich golden yolks--but alas, I was too hungry to remember to snap their picture).  It was quite an excellent, if enormous salad.  

Shortly after I finished, Lena called.  She was thinking of walking over with baby Phoebe.  Perfect, said I.  I'd been meaning to call her for days--so was delighted for this surprise visit.  And, although I've been fairly resolute about emptying my refrigerator, I did have both banana bread and chocolate matzoh



Lena cleaned her plate, Phoebe was perfectly behaved, and I got to both walk them home and ride my bike back.

Later that evening, I made myself another smaller salad, as well as another round of mashed potatoes and chicken hash.

No comments:

Post a Comment