Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16. Eggs and Potatoes. Home Fries vs. Hashed Browns

Due to my early bike departure yesterday, and their late return, I'd scarcely seen house guests Leigh and Maxine.  This morning, always happy to expand my repertoire, I was happy to make them breakfast.  Leigh initially refused, but Maxine was delighted to accept my offer.
I've had too many potatoes in the black bowl on the counter for weeks.  Now, I could begin to work my way through them and  perhaps even more significantly finally discover the difference between home fries and hash browns.  Is this something I once knew and forgot?  I don't think so.  I have memories of asking waitresses in diners and breakfast emporiums throughout this breakfast-eating land to clarify the available potato choices--and I suspect I always thought each place had its own definitions.  But now, thanks to some intrepid research, I now understand that hash browns are  are grated before frying while home fries are cubed or diced.
Perhaps I have more time nowadays, but it does seem that if you cut your potatoes relatively small, and cook them in a covered pan, so they are simultaneously steaming and browning, they can be cooked with relative dispatch.


HOME FRIED POTATOES
One onion
Olive Oil
Two or three potatoes

Dice the potatoes into half inch cubes.  Coat the bottom of a heavy pan with a bit of olive oil, and add the potatoes, spreading them into one layer.  Cover and cook over medium heat.  Sooner than you think, the potatoes should be nicely browned on one side.  Stir them about. At this point, add a finely chopped onion.  (As always, amounts are infinitely variable).  You could also throw in some chopped pepper. If the potatoes are more or less cooked, you can remove the cover, otherwise keep it on--it does speed things up.
I scrambled eggs in the same pan, but once again, there are infinite possibilities in egg cookery and companionship.

Before leaving for yoga, I'd managed to figure out how to fix the broken garbage disposal--which Leigh and I managed to do thanks to the borrowed Allen wrench from Lauren.  And now, post-breakfast, Leigh was taking on the most onerous (to me, anyhow) task of cleaning my oven vent.

Zipped back from yoga--vent spectacularly clean.  Went with Leigh and Maxine to his favorite kosher fish taco place for a very late lunch followed by a quick stop at Trader Joe's.  They were going to a Clippers Game at Staples Stadium.  I had a quiet night at home, with a late snack of that ever-delicious chicken soup.



No comments:

Post a Comment