Naomi: Cooking for one and for friends



For years now, even before I wrote the recipes in what I think of as my "static blog," Fiftytworecipesfrommymother, at the request of my children, Sarah and Sam, Sarah had been urging me to keep a daily (more or less) record of my cookings--the meals I make for myself in my (surprisingly) solitary life as well as those I make for friends. For whatever reasons, I've never done it.


But, after months of wandering, I've finally begun. As I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking for one, and love throwing together grand meals at the last minute, I have been encouraging friends to call to check on what I might have on hand any evening for a quick meal. Instructions can be found in my entry for March 20th--What's in Naomi's Refrigerator.

This is primarily a record of the meals I prepare for myself and others, accompanied by "mug shots" of the food (when I remember to photograph before eating). Shot by my phone, with no styling, they may not capture their subjects at their best, but so be it.



Friday, April 13, 2012

April 13th. LA Touring. Langers to LACMA. Little Dishes at Bar Hayama

Dan has been in town visiting Sam and Drea.  We'd made a plan for some Los Angeles touring, and proceeded undeterred by warnings of rain, hail and thunder.  The rains hadn't begun as we headed downtown on Wilshire to Sunset through Beverly Hills and back to Wilshire through MacArthur Park onto downtown.  I've been gone for so long, I'd forgotten how much I can actually enjoy driving in Los Angeles, especially in this vaguely non-directive sight-seeing mode.   Dan had never been down most of these streets so it was all both new and familiar.  Disney Hall was sparkling, but just as we were about to look for parking to go inside the Bradbury Building, the rains began in earnest.  The downpour coincided with the onset of great waves of hunger, so we shifted gears and headed straight back to Langer's, in MacArthur Park, for two pastrami sandwiches (that would be one each, no sharing).
Two Pastrami Sandwiches with pickles (Daniel Raskin,2012)
I got my regular--the #1 with Russian dressing and cole slaw.  Dan got his with an order of cole slaw on the side.  The cream soda is never quite as good as the memory--but I can rarely resist ordering it.  The pastrami lived up to all expectations.

Fortified, we then drove to LACMA.  We spent most of our time at the Robert Adams photography exhibit, but also whirled through the Serra, the Chris Burden's roaring Metropolis II, Ellsworth Kelly and the permanent collection.  On a rainy Friday afternoon, the whole museum was humming, very different from the almost abandoned site I remember from years ago.

Dropped Dan off at Sam and Drea's.  We met again for yet another meal at Bar-Hayama on Sawtelle, perhaps the culinary opposite (if such a category exists) of Langer's.  The blustery post storm evening meant that no-one was gathered around the famous fire-pit, but sitting outside, we ordered a fine selection of little Japanese dishes, mostly vegetarian, though we did have that always delicious black cod.  A day of excellent eating far from my busy kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment